Products > Liqui-Cult
Liqui-Cult Detects Microbial Growth in Distillate Fuels
Liqui-CultTM test kits are used to detect microbial growth in fluids, including diesel fuel, heating oil, metalworking fluids, cooling and process water, and other liquids such as cleaners, cosmetics, liquid soaps, detergents, etc.
Liqui-CultTM testing determines the type and degree of infestation usually measured by the more expensive plate count system. To use, simply fill the 5cc syringe (included in your kit) with the fluid to be tested. Inject the complete 5cc's through the rubber cap of the test bottle containing the liquid agar and shake it vigorously. Incubate for 30 hours for bacterial growth or 72 hours for fungal growth and compare it to the appropriate photo charts to determine the degree of contamination.
Directions for Using the Liqui-Cult™ Test Kit
1. Remove center seal from metal cap of test bottle.
2. Assemble syringe by first removing plunger nozzle guard. Take cap, not guard, off needle and press into plunger nozzle, leaving needle guard in place until ready to use.
3. Remove needle guard and insert tip into liquid to be tested. Draw plunger back, filling syringe with complete 5cc of fluid.
4. Inject needle through rubber cap on bottle and push down the syringe plunger, emptying contents completely into it. Remove syringe from bottle, replacing needle guard and discard according to local state and federal guidelines. Shake bottle vigorously to mix fluids.
5. Incubate bottle at room temperature for 30 hours for microbial growth and or 72 hours for fungal growth.
6. To measure: Bacterial growth: After 30 hours compare the same bottle to the color density chart on reverse side of instructions of the Liqui-Cult kit instructions. Fungal growth: After a full 72 hours, compare the test bottle to the density levels indicated on the color density chart on reverse side of instructions of the Liqui-Cult kit instructions.
7. If it is necessary to dilute samples to be tested, for reasons of viscosity etc., the following procedure is recommended: A sample may be diluted by adding 1ml to 99ml of boiled, cooled tap water in a clean container. Add 1ml of the test sample to the diluent, cap the container, and shake vigorously. Then proceed with the above directions. Take the dilution factor into account when estimating growth. For example, a 105 count from a 1/100 dilution of fluid would indicate 107 organisms per ml in the original sample.
8. Storage: Liqui-Cult™ should be stored at room temperature (68-75* F) Protect from light. Materials need not be refrigerated.
9. Disposal of used materials: Under a fume hood fill the bottle with bleach. Let it stand for 24 hours, then discard in an appropriate manner. Needles and syringes should be disposed of within local, state and federal guidelines.
Liqui-Cult is easy to use and accurate. For more information, please call our office or contact us online.